The Panic of 1873 still persisted, but advances in the Industrial Revolution began to bring the Gilded Age into full swing. The first telephone exchanges came into being in New Haven and San Francisco. Thomas Edison had become known as the Wizard of Menlo Park and in 1878, brought the world the phonograph and household electricity.
Out West, February saw the beginning of the Lincoln County War, which brought a bloody feud between factions of the dry goods and cattle industries to New Mexico Territory. Bret Maverick would have a run-in with former Regulator Drake in Silver Springs later in the summer.
1978 saw the Maverick Brothers forming lasting associations, some that would become strong allies — as well as adversaries:
While Bret lingered in the Arizona Territory at the beginning of the year, awaiting Jedd Ferris' release from prison, he met Mandy Packer at the Red Ox Saloon in Sweetwater. Meanwhile, Brother Bart met Gentleman Jack Darby for the first time while traveling through Dakota Territory.
Although Bret had first met Doc Holliday in Wichita the previous year, he crossed paths with him again in Bandera, Texas later in the summer. After a shaky reunion, they formed a strong friendship on a ride to Dodge City together. About that time, Bart made the acquaintance of Samantha Crawford in Pierre.
Shortly after leaving Bart high and dry in Grand Ile, Samantha lured Brother Bret into a fateful poker game in Kansas City which would result in a life-long friendship between Bret and Horace Tabor. Tabor invited Bret to his home in Denver that winter where at Bret's invitation, both Brother Bret and Doc Holliday joined them and became fast friends.
06. Maverick, The Long Hunt (1957), Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.
07. The Conjectural Maverick, Maverick Trails
08. Maverick, Alias Bart Maverick (1958), Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.
09. Maverick, The Quick and the Dead (1957), Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.
10. Maverick, The Savage Hills (1958), Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.
11. Maverick, The Seventh Hand (1958), Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.
12. Maverick, Holiday at Hollow Rock (1958), Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.
01. Jay Cooke's Gamble: The Northern Pacific Railroad, the Sioux, and the Panic of 1873 (May 8, 2006; M. John Lubetkin; University of Oklahoma Press
02. Telephone: The First Hundred Years (May 1976); John Brooks; Harpercollins
03. Edison: A Biography (2003); Matthew Josephson; History Book Club
04. The Lincoln County War, A Documentary History (January 1992); Frederick W. Nolan; University of Oklahoma Press
05. Maverick, Relic of Fort Tejon (1957), Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.
Billy the Kid and the Regulators, the Battle of the McSween House, Lincoln County Wars, 1878.
Maverick Trails is not endorsed, sponsored or affiliated with Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc. or the Maverick franchise.
Maverick™ and its various marks are trademarks of Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc., © 1957, 1994
©2014, 2015, 2016 Maverick Trails