01. California: A History, Andrew Rolle and Arthur C. Verge (September 15, 2014), Wiley-Blackwell
02. Population of the 100 Largest Cities and Other Urban Places in the United States: 1790 to 1990; Campbell Gibson; U. S. Census Bureau (retrieved April 12, 2015)
03. History of Fort Tejon; George Stammerjohan; Fort Tejon Historical Association (retrieved March 29, 2015)
04. The Conjectural Maverick, Maverick Trails
05. Maverick, The Wrecker (1957), Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.
06. Maverick, Brasada Spur (1959), Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.
Thirty-first state in the United States, admitted to the Union on September 9, 1850.
Located on the Pacific coast of the continental United States.
Named after the mythical land Califerne, from an 11-century French poem popular amongst the 16th-century Spanish explorers of California.
First settled by various Indian tribes before being discovered by European expeditions throughout the 16th and 17th centuries and claimed by Spain, which infused the indigenous population with Spanish culture.
Gold was discovered in early 1848 at Sutter's Mill, precipitating the California Gold Rush. Gold-seekers by the hundreds of thousands poured into the region, arriving by sea and overland routes, and greatly expanding the course of American civilization and culture westward.
Soon after, the western portion of Alta California was admitted as the State of California on September 9, 1850 as part of the Compromise of 1850.
The city of San Francisco, located at the mouth of the coast's largest natural harbor, began to grow rapidly as California's chief port. Due to the Gold Rush, the population of the city grew from 1,000 to 25,000 between January of 1848 and the end of 1849.
On August 10, 1854, Fort Tejon was established to protect the Emigdiano Indians and white settlers from the raids and aggressions of the Paiute and Mojave Indians and Californios. During the winter of 1859–60, the fort stabled a shipment of camels as part of the Army's experimental camel corps.
Maverick Trails is not endorsed, sponsored or affiliated with Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc. or the Maverick franchise.
Maverick™ and its various marks are trademarks of Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc., © 1957, 1994
©2014, 2015, 2016 Maverick Trails