Named for its founding officer, Colonel Henry Leavenworth, the installation was originally called Cantonment Leavenworth, with an initial complement of 14 officers and 174 enlisted men.
As the eastern terminus of the Santa Fe and Oregon trails, the installations' importance increased rapidly. After the Indian Removal Act of 1830, its strategic location gave it even greater prominence, and was renamed Fort Leavenworth in 1832.
Trail West to Fury: On November 13, 1866, Bret and Bart Maverick were mustered out of the 5th U. S. Volunteer Infantry at Fort Leavenworth, having served nearly two years fighting Indians along the Santa Fe Trail and in New Mexico Territory as Galvanized Yankees.
01. A Brief History of Fort Leavenworth 1827 – 1983, Dr. John W. Partin, Combined Arms Research Library (retrieved April 11, 2014)
02. The Conjectural Maverick, Maverick Trails
03. Maverick, Trail West to Fury (1958), Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc
04. Library of Congress
Fort Leavenworth, 1867.
Maverick Trails is not endorsed, sponsored or affiliated with Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc. or the Maverick franchise.
Maverick™ and its various marks are trademarks of Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc., © 1957, 1994
©2014, 2015, 2016 Maverick Trails