Situated in the hills of Emigration Canyon, north of the Old Wagon Road. Named for Mormon pioneer Levi Gifford, established as a mining town in 1863 where limestone and sandstone were quarried. The town prospered for a time, but transportation of the quarried stone proved impractical and the town was completely abandoned by 1866.
In July of 1876, Bart Maverick and Janet Kilmer tracked Quincy Bigelow from Salt Lake City into the ghost town. As Bart confronted Bigelow in an abandoned shop, Janet took their carriage and left them behind, forcing Bart and Bigelow to make their way on foot back to Salt lake City.
Maverick Trails is not endorsed, sponsored or affiliated with Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc. or the Maverick franchise.
Maverick™ and its various marks are trademarks of Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc., © 1957, 1994
©2014, 2015, 2016 Maverick Trails